New Feature: Waterway Guide
Waterway Guide content is now available as a chart overlay within the SEAiq app. Waterway Guide utilizes their extensive user base, large network of on-the-water editors, and full-time staff to provide up-to-date and accurate content for safe and informed travel along the waterways. Marinas, anchorages, navigation alerts, bridges and locks for the Eastern U.S., Canada, Bahamas, and Cuba are now available for offline access.
We are informed on May 23, 2018 Garmin will make incompatible changes to the ActiveCaptain server. After this date, the current ActiveCaptain data will continue to work in SEAiq. However, no further updates will be available for download. We recommend users sync offline data on their devices before the May 23 cut-off. We are considering updating SEAiq support for ActiveCaptain but do not have definite plans yet.
Android Device Compatibility
SEAiq is supported on ARM-based Android devices running 4.1 (Jelly Bean) or later.
We are only aware of one device for which SEAiq does not function. However, newer and higher-end Android devices provide better graphics and responsiveness, as one would expect. Below is a summary of our experience and those reported by SEAiq users.
IMPORTANT: Android devices are not compatible with Trelleborg v2 CAT ROT and CAT I devices. Some firmware versions for Trelleborg (formerly Marimatech) devices use Ad Hoc networks, which Android does not support. The Trelleborg v4 devices do not use Ad Hoc networks and are compatible with Android.
We recommend the following devices:
- Google Pixel C: Sharp graphics; very responsive. Overall, this is the best of the Android tablets we have tested. One issue is that the display can not be viewed in portrait mode when wearing polarized glasses.
- Nexus 9 (2015): Sharp graphics; very responsive.
- Sony Z2 (2014): These are water resistant.
- Samsung Galaxy S4 phone (2015): Very responsive. Screen is of course somewhat small.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2: Large screen is great. Responsiveness is only moderate.
SEAiq functions correctly on these devices but we do not recommend them, primarily because they are not responsive:
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 (2014)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8in
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A
- Nexus 7 (2013)
- ASUS phone pad
SEAiq does not run on these devices:
- ASUS MeMOPad HD 7-Inch 16 GB Tablet, Blue (ME173X-A1-BL) 2013 Model: Incompatibilities in the graphics drivers.